I love Tex Mex food and soups so this is a great combination of the two that can be made in 30 minutes. This chicken tortilla soup by The Stay At Home Chef on YouTube has chicken, black beans, and hearty Tex Mex vegetables to make a perfect cozy soup for chilly nights. It’s a one-pot soup recipe too, and this will be easy to store in the fridge as leftovers for the week.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 15 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can of black beans
- 7 ounce can dice green chiles
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn (or use canned)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 cups tortilla strips or tortilla chips
- 2 medium avocados, diced
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
First, heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add in the onion and bell pepper and saute for about 5 minutes. Then, add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and paprika. Pour the chicken broth and chicken breast into the pot and bring to a boil. Continue to watch The Stay At Home Chef tutorial on YouTube for full instructions and details.
Next, once all of the ingredients are in the pot, let it simmer. Turn off the heat once everything is finished cooking, and stir in the cilantro and lime juice.
Overall, you can serve this chicken tortilla soup with any toppings such as sour cream, sliced avocados, tortilla strips, and cheese. I like how this is a chunky and filling soup.