This hash brown breakfast cups recipe by Joy of Baking on YouTube demonstrates how to make an easy make-ahead breakfast dish. I love one-dish meals because it’s easy and everything is all in one bite. Plus, it makes things easier if you want to use up leftover vegetables or breakfast meat. The serving size of these breakfast cups is perfect to eat in the morning without feeling too stuffed. I think it’s a good way to get your children to eat their veggies too by mixing it in the filling.
- 1 pound frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red, green, orange, or yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup ham, diced (can also use ham steak, Canadian back bacon, bacon, or crumbled sausage)
- 2 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese (can use Cheddar, Colby, Monterey Jack, Mexican blend, gruyere, goat cheese, etc.)
First, preheat the oven to 475F. Then, butter a 6 count muffin pan. Place the thaw shredded hash browns in a large bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Whisk egg whites in a separate bowl then add them to the hash browns along with melted butter. Toss to combine and add them to the muffin pan. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
Next, cook the breakfast cup filling in the meantime. Evenly divide the mixture into the baked hash brown cups and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake for about 2 -3 minutes then remove from the oven and crack the eggs on top. Continue to watch Joy of Baking tutorial on YouTube for full instructions and details.
Overall, it’s a healthy breakfast meal that is filled with your choice of ingredients with a crispy hashbrown crust.