These chocolate truffles recipe by Hot Chocolate Hits on YouTube is infused with salted caramel and whisky. The whisky is optional, but it brings out a nice flavor with the chocolate. Valentine’s Day is not complete without chocolate, and this would be a nice homemade treat to add to an assortment of desserts if you’re making a gift.
For the truffles:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup salted caramel (store-bought, or see recipe below!)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 tbsp whisky (optional, but necessary!)
- 10.5 oz bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp sea salt and more for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder for coating
To make the salted caramel sauce:
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp butter (salted or unsalted works fine)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
First, place the chocolate in a bowl. Then, in a separate bowl, combine the cream, caramel, whisky, and butter. Microwave for 2-3 minutes. Pour the hot cream mixture over the chopped up chocolate, and let the ingredients stand for about 30 seconds. Continue to watch Hot Chocolate Hits on YouTube for full instructions and details.
Next, once the chocolate mixture has hardened, scoop up it up with a spoon and sprinkle the chocolate mound with cocoa powder to prevent it from sticking to your palms when creating a ball form. Then coat the ball with cocoa powder to properly coat the exterior so it seals in the chocolate.
Overall, I would make these salted caramel chocolate truffles with the whisky because it would be a nice touch of alcohol for a Valentine’s Day gift. It’s one of those gifts that I would make for a guy because it’s the type of liquor that a lot of them would choose.